HAPPY FIRST DAY OF A NEW YEAR! Colloquially known as, “good riddance last year!” day.
I love the new year. It’s a time of reflection; a time of looking forward; a time full of promise. If we are not careful, the new year can be a time of bitterness. #beenthere Speaking of reflection…
Where was I in 2017? Oh yes: Cried into my pillows many nights. Why did we take out those stupid student loans? But also: Welcomed a new baby: the most beautiful one you’ve ever seen. Paid off $27,000, but also let fatigue and excuses relax our budget too much. How much closer would we have been had we paid better attention? So, 2018: We will STAY OWN YOU.
“Watch your thoughts for they become words. Watch your words for they become actions. Watch your actions for they become…habits. Watch your habits, for they become your character. And watch your character, for it becomes your destiny! What we think we become.”
2018 is YOUR YEAR. Whether 2017 was good, or 2017 wasn’t what you hoped, or 2017 ̶m̶a̶j̶o̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ was awful, one thing remains: It is gone. What will you do with it?
Thank you, Rafiki for that reminder. C’mon Simba, let’s take on Scar and steal back what’s rightfully ours: the hyena-free (debt-free!) Pride Lands!
So, where are your thoughts this New Year’s Day? Are they supporting the actions, habits, character, and destiny you are called to? Hmm, for example:
- I think I can overcome my debts and money mistakes in 2018.
- I think I can make a plan to slay those money goals.
- I think my plan will work.
- I think my plan relies on SACRIFICE and being INTENTIONAL.
- I think it’s worth it for FREEDOM!
- I think my hubby agrees with #1-5 and I also think he is awesome.
- I will write a plan before the month begins and stay accountable to it and my husband. (That’s called a budget BTW!) #action
- I will act to minimize costs and maximize how far I can stretch a dollar. #pantrychallenge
- I will get the sleep I need to take care of my family while working a full-time job and 15 hours a week + of a second job! #Davejob
- I will plan my days so that the same amount of time that was given to Einstein, Marie Curie, Leonardo da Vinci, The Wright Brothers, Ford, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Edison, Mother Theresa, The Beatles, Louis Pasteur, Taylor Swift, Mark Zuckerburg, Galileo, Audrey Hepburn, and Steve Jobs – 24 hours each day – was also given to me and will be put to GREAT USE.
- I will make planning ahead my habit.
- I will make getting enough rest a habit.
- I will make automating success a habit.
- More concretely: I will kill the habit of checking my email – a major time waster – by unsubscribing from everything. #allthethings
- I will make finishing what I start my habit. I am just full of ideas: Now let’s see some of these brilliant eureka moments through!
- I will go to bed early. ‘Nuff said, but did you known Benjamin Franklin woke up every morning at 4 and partially attributed those early mornings to how productive his life was? Well Mr. Franklin, if I lived in the 1700s and my fire went out in the middle of the night and I woke up cold at 4 in the morning I might have historically productive days, too! Alright, alright, ALRIGHT ALREADY. I’ll add your autobiography to my reading list this year.
- I will make consideration, intentionality, and diligence my character and hope they already are. Compassion, wisdom, strength, honor, and support of my husband are all on my list too -looking at you, Psalm 31 woman!
- I will be aware of how my thoughts, actions, and habits mold my character.
- 20. I will walk into my destiny. What is this for you? Have you ever asked that question? What is the call on your life – and how are you walking in it?!
- Don’t just trudge through the days, sun up and sun down. Live a life worth LIVING!
Here’s an extra one – just .18 of a reason 2018 will be our best year yet: We will get enough sleep. Did you catch on to that in my list? LOL!
2018: We’re coming for ya.
I would love to hear your plans, hopes, and dreams for the new year. Let me know!